The fundamental requirements of BMP
Understand the threat
- Maritime threats are dynamic.
- Obtaining current threat information is critical for risk assessment and decision making.
Conduct risk assessments
- Companies must conduct risk assessments.
- Identify ship protection measures.
Implement ship protection measures
- Harden the ship.
- Brief and train the crew.
- Enhanced lookout.
- Follow Flag State and military guidance.
- Report to UKMTO and register with MSCHOA.
- Report incidents and suspicious activity.
- Send distress signal when attacked.
- Cooperate with other shipping and military forces.
- Cooperate with law enforcement to preserve evidence.
- Cooperate with welfare providers.